New Retail Construction Frozen, But Renovations Can Provide Some Warmth

by Andy Burns on September 21, 2010

As we know in most parts of the country new retail ground-up construction is frozen and has been since mid-2008.  But that’s not the only option out there.  Renovation and reuse of older structures may offer some hope to the badly depressed construction industry while sparking interest from retailers to expand and upgrade. I wanted to share some pics from a recent project of a 25-year old building that was just upgraded by our team – along with the creative talent of our architects who helped modernize this property for less than a third the cost of a new building of equal size.

The exterior upgrade was prompted by a need to revitalize the tired look of this 26,000 square foot building and make it more attractive from a marketing perspective.

Before renovations

Before renovations

After Renovations

after

New colored roof panels were added – architectural details were added to the roof lines and cornices - sign areas were increased in size – masonry column enclosures added – lighting enhanced – and new landscaping designed and installed. Now that the construction is completed and the new look is evident,  the number of inquiries by potential tenants has shown a strong uptick.  That’s music to a property owner’s ears.  The strategy here was to get as much bang for the buck as possible.  And, we were able to accomplish that for a fraction of the cost of building something new.

Commercial real estate can’t stay stuck forever.  Renovating may just be the thing to jump start some new projects and get some blood flowing back into the commercial building markets.

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Jim Clear 09.21.10 at 11:48 am

Well done!

Andy Burns 09.21.10 at 3:57 pm

Thanks Jim!

Chris VanderWeyden 10.21.10 at 12:39 pm

Andy, great work - an excellent example of building reuse. I like the integration of the old with new (i.e. the domed structure)

Andrew Burns 10.22.10 at 12:53 pm

Yes, the changes we made to the building, which is of 1986 vintage, have created lots of buzz in the local area - and lots of new interest from potential businesses looking to lease space. Thanks for the comments!

Janus Mcfadden 02.27.12 at 11:59 am

This post helps me a lot of information regarding with the commercial renovations winnipeg. It such a great post. Keep posting!

Roger Mckinley 03.01.12 at 4:33 pm

thank you for posting about suspending ceiling installation

Marcia 09.09.12 at 6:12 am

It is peгfect time to maκe some plans
foг the future anԁ it’s time to be happy. I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you some interesting things or advice. Perhaps you can write next articles referring to this article. I want to read more things about it!

http://maketinator.blog.fc2.com/ 03.16.13 at 2:10 pm

Even if you are a seasoned veteran when it comes to SEO,
its always good to go through and hear what the other big shots are saying about the industry.
If, however, the campaign targets people coming from
vastly different backgrounds, it will be wiser to come up with several
sub-campaigns that address the needs of specific audiences.

Anyone who desires to learn about the technicalities of Internet marketing ought to choose agencies
that provide marketing training courses and personal coaching.

Johng638 09.17.14 at 9:53 am

I was just seeking this info for some time. After six hours of continuous Googleing, at last I got it in your web site. I wonder what is the lack of Google strategy that don’t rank this kind of informative websites in top of the list. Generally the top sites are full of garbage. dkkadffdfdde

Johnd778 09.17.14 at 9:55 am

Thanks so much for sharing all with the awesome info! I am looking forward to checking out far more posts! fbkkecbbkgfa

test 12.27.14 at 9:15 am

Amazing blog! Do you have any helpful hints for aspiring writers?
I’m hoping to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
Would you suggest starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option? There are so many choices out there that I’m
totally overwhelmed .. Any ideas? Kudos!